Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pondering Photography

On a longish drive coming back from shooting today I was thinking about why I love photography so much.  I think it is a number of things, but the first that came to mind is that I am learning what I like (to shoot) and then gaining some understanding of myself from that.   I love reflections like water and windows but also love shadows, and I think they go together.  They both show something beyond what we notice in passing, the things we have to look deeper to find.  Often quite beautiful or surprising, and right there waiting to be found.
Everyone loves flowers, so I don't need to examine that one too closely.  Rust?  Here I'm not sure except that it really can be interesting and beautiful.
From this process I think I understand that taking photos helps me appreciate the subtle and amazing beauty all around us and to try my best to capture it to share.  Gosh, this sounds like I may have arrived at my philosophy!

So, to share one image from today.  Several years ago I found an old barn I love.   It's a long haul from here but I've visited it 3 times now - and each time am so happy to find it yet standing.  Today I thought that some of the structure of the 2nd floor looked like a pagoda.  I worked with this image to try to bring that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment